|super cute photo found here|
I’m not a fashion blogger, but I regularly read the Independent Fashion Bloggers website because it always features such great tips for bloggers of any niche.
At the beginning of this month I came across a blog post on that website on 31 Ways to Boost Your Blog into 2013. Taylor Davies gave a list of 31 things to do in the month of December to make for a more successful blog in the New Year. Unfortunately, I didn't see this post until a few days into the month and since I’m not a fashion blogger several items on the list didn't really apply to me. Then I thought, “I feel another blogging challenging coming on!”
Drawing inspiration from Davies' post, I’ve put together a list of my own: 31 Days to a Better Blog. Here are 31 things to do in January (that’s one task for each day) to improve your blog. What a great way to kick off the New Year.
Below is the entire list so you can play along, but each day I’ll be posting or tweeting @writeousbabe about the tasks (with the hashtag #31Days).
If you plan to join me on this challenge let me know in the comments so I can swing by your blog to check on your progress.
Happy blogging!31 Days to a Better Blog
- Carve out a new niche for yourself. Create the blog you wish existed!
- Create an editorial calendar and stick with it!
- Update your Twitter header.
- Write a mission statement for your blog.
- Revamp your About page (and include that new mission statement).
- Redesign your header.
- Take a photo that you will use on all your social networking sites and add the photo to your blog as an "About Me" graphic that links to your About page.
- If you've been thinking about changing your URL, title or platform, do it!
- Sign up for a blogging class or conference.
- Recommit to being more engaging on Facebook and Twitter.
- Dust off your LinkedIn profile. Believe it or not, I've had more people contact me about writing and social media gigs through LinkedIn than Facebook or Twitter.
- Update your Google profile.
- Learn how you can use Pinterest to boost your blog.
- Update your blogroll.
- Now recommit to leaving thoughtful comments on most of those sites in your blogroll.
- Cut ties with some of your tweeps to streamline your Twitter experience.
- Make commenting on your blog easier.
- Organize an event for bloggers in your area.
- Get connected with an online blogging community such as BlogHer, Skirt or IFB.
- Make a pitch to be featured on or to contribute to one of your favorite blogs.
- Make a pitch to be featured in local (or even national) media.
- Start a video post feature on a topic related to your niche.
- Post an interview with someone you admire. These posts generally bring lots of pageviews.
- Introduce yourself to important people in your niche.
- Blog about a controversial topic. These posts are shared over and over in cyberspace and are sure to bring you more traffic.
- Start an e-newsletter.
- Have a blog date. Go to your favorite coffee shop and blog for hours.
- Highlight your best blog posts.
- Cover a local event. These types of posts tend to be popular, too.
- Compile a post of all the lesssons you've learned about blogging thus far. Your readers who are also bloggers will appreciate it, and this will be a great post for you to refer back to when you feel you've lost your way.
- Create a list of great blog post ideas for 2013.