When I wrote about five things that made me a happy feminist last week, I didn't intend to make this a regular feature of the blog. But things keep bringing joy to my feminist heart. So here we go…
1. Gabby gets the last laugh.
When some Twitter trolls had some not-so-nice things to say about Gabourey Sidibe as she walked the red carpet at the Golden Globes on Sunday, Gabby's response via Twitter was perfect:
"To people making mean comments about my GG pics, I mos def cried about it on that private jet on my way to my dream job last night. #JK,"
Haters gon' hate.
2. Beyonce wrote an essay. And since I too write essays I decided this must mean I am Beyonce. (Just let me roll with this.)
3. A colleague of mine asked me to come to his class give a guest lecture… on Beyonce!
4. On the same day I wrote a post on why I believe Christian men should want a feminist wife, Sarah Bessey, a.k.a. Jesus Feminist, wrote an acute post in response to Candace Cameron's comments on submission and "biblical marriage." Bessey and I both believe marriage is about mutual submission. As Bessey states in her post:
My husband and I submit to one another as we both submit to Christ. We learned that from our Bibles.
5. An acquaintance of mine sent me a Facebook message that read:
"I did not know I was a feminist until I met you…you have rocked my world."
And with that she most certainly made my week.
What made you happy this week?